The Crimson Raiders are currently tied with Florida for the most MLB Draft choices moving into Tuesday’s final working day of the MLB Draft, which functions rounds 11-20. Texas Tech’s seven alternatives effortlessly guide the Significant 12 Meeting as the trio of Arkansas, Louisville and South Carolina are tied for 3rd with six draft picks adopted by Tennessee, UCLA and Vanderbilt with five each.
The Purple Raiders snapped the college file for most leading-10 picks in a solitary draft halfway by the motion as Texas Tech’s previous large was 4 from the 2018 and 2019 functions. It marked the 34th-consecutive calendar year Texas Tech recorded numerous draft picks, which is easily the longest streak in the Big 12.
Cal Conley and Dru Baker ended up the to start with Pink Raiders off the board in the fourth round as the Atlanta Braves employed the 126th decide to select Conley followed by the Tampa Bay Rays 5 choices afterwards to pick Baker. The Rays utilized another pick later on in the day on Mason Montgomery in the sixth spherical at decide on No. 191 all round, marking the initial time the franchise has made use of a number of picks on Crimson Raiders in its background.
Braxton Fulford preceded Montgomery previously in the sixth spherical as the Colorado Rockies selected the Lubbock native at No. 170 overall. A trio of Tech arms finished Texas Tech’s day as Ryan Sublette went No. 222 in general (seventh round) to the Los Angeles Dodgers, even though Hunter Dobbins was chosen at No. 226 early in the eighth round by the Box Crimson Sox and Patrick Monteverde at No. 239 to the Miami Marlins.
Texas Tech has now had at the very least a person Red Raider picked in the prime-5 rounds in each of the last 4 drafts less than head coach Tim Tadlock. Through that span, Texas Tech has experienced 7 Purple Raiders picked in the initially five rounds as Conley and Baker join a checklist that involves 2020 draftees Clayton Beeter (CBB – No. 66) and Bryce Bonnin (3rd spherical), 2019 initially rounder Josh Jung (No. 8 total) and 2018 picks Grant Little (CBB – No. 74) and Steven Gingery (fourth round).
Coverage of the final working day of the MLB Draft will resume at 11 a.m. Tuesday early morning on MLB.com.
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT Choices
Cal Conley, INF – No. 126 / Fourth Spherical (Atlanta Braves)
Dru Baker, INF – No. 130 / Fourth Spherical (Tampa Bay Rays)
Braxton Fulford, C – No. 170 / Sixth Spherical (Colorado Rockies)
Mason Montgomery, LHP – No. 191 / Sixth Spherical (Tampa Bay Rays)
Ryan Sublette, RHP – No. 222 / Seventh Round (Los Angeles Dodgers)
Hunter Dobbins, RHP – No. 226 / Eighth Round (Boston Pink Sox)
Patrick Monteverde, LHP – No. 239 / Eighth Spherical (Miami Marlins)
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT NOTES:
- Texas Tech has now had 58 MLB Draft alternatives since Tim Tadlock was named the head coach of his alma mater prior to the 2013 time. Of that complete, 36 of these choices have been pitchers, including 18 now in the to start with 10 rounds of the draft.
- This is the next time below Tim Tadlock and the seventh time over-all Texas Tech has experienced a number of Pink Raiders picked in the top rated-five rounds. That list includes the adhering to: Clayton Beeter/Bryce Bonnin (2020) Chad Bettis/Bobby Duran (2010) Roger Kieschnick and Zach Stewart (2008) Tyler Reeves and Dustin Richardson (2006) and Ryan Nye and Eric Newman (2006).
- With his range, Cal Conley, the 2021 Brooks Wallace Award recipient, results in being the initial Crimson to be picked by the Braves since Ryan Shetter (ninth spherical) and Ty Harpenau (16th spherical) during the 2018 draft. He is the initial Red Raider to be chosen in the major-five rounds by the Braves due to the fact left-handed pitcher Pat McKean was preferred No. 83 overall (fourth spherical) of the 1971 draft. At decide No. 126 in general, Conley becomes the 20th-maximum drafted Crimson Raider all-time.
- Dru Baker is the initially Red Raider to be chosen by the Tampa Bay group because Reid Redman listened to his identify identified as in the 23rd spherical of the 2012 draft. His collection in the fourth round marked the optimum at any time for a Crimson Raider by the franchise.
- The Rays had not beforehand chosen several Purple Raiders in the very same draft until eventually selecting Baker in the fourth round and Mason Montgomery in the sixth round. This is the next time in a a few-yr span in which two Red Raiders had been picked in just the prime-10 rounds by the exact organization right after Gabe Holt (seventh round) and Taylor Floyd (10th spherical) have been each picked out by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2019.
- The Colorado Rockies experienced not formerly utilised a draft select on a Red Raider since 2013 when the corporation selected Jerad McCrummen in the 23rd round. Braxton Fulford is the highest-drafted Crimson Raider by the Rockies corporation considering the fact that Colorado selected eventual MLB starter Chad Bettis in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft.
- Fulford is the initial Red Raider catcher to be selected in the top-10 rounds given that Hunter Redman was picked in the eighth spherical of the 2014 draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers. Josh Bard remains the best-drafted catcher in college history following staying picked at No. 100 over-all by the Colorado Rockies in 1999.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have now selected a Pink Raider pitcher in again-to-back drafts immediately after selecting Clayton Far better at No. 66 overall a 12 months back in the Aggressive Equilibrium B Spherical and then Ryan Sublette in the seventh spherical of this year’s draft.
- The Boston Purple Sox made Hunter Dobbins the 1st Crimson Raider to be picked by the organization given that Dustin Richardson was picked in the fifth round of the 2006 draft.
- Patrick Monteverde grew to become the very first Crimson Raider to be selected by the Miami Marlins since former All-American and recent volunteer assistant mentor Eric Gutierrez in the 20th spherical of the 2016 draft. He joins fellow southpaw Chris Sadberry (sixth spherical, 2014) as the only top-10 round picks by the Marlins in college background.
- Texas Tech’s ultimate 4 choices – Montgomery, Sublette, Dobbins and Monteverde – marked the 3rd time since 2015 the place at minimum three Purple Raider pitchers have been named in the best-10 rounds (had three in both of those 2015 and 2018 drafts). It marked the most pitchers chosen in the top rated-10 rounds in college historical past.